Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blah Blog :-)

I made the inappropriate assumption that leaving Cologne, Germany would be completely ordinary so I preemptively posted a blog.  I was wrong.  On the day we were set to embark on our 7 hour bus ride to Dresden my host proposed to my roommate and I the idea of catching some of the gay pride parade before we had to leave.  We went.  At first there was a lot of dodging involved.  Dodging trannies, dodging fishnets, and dodging unique costumes.  Finally, we made it to a space where we were able to peek through a vendor's curtain to see.  I guess we eluded the "I don't belong here but I think it's funny" vibe because the drink vendor invited us into his hut.  We snagged front row seats to the parade and were given delicious drinks.  I tried to work the station but when people talked to me in German I could only reply by counting... the only German I know is 1-10.

We had to pull ourselves away to make the bus.  When I say bus, I mean a half of a bus.  Literally the short bus.  We had to pack “small bags” for Dresden so we wouldn’t’ have to haul around all of our luggage.  Everyone’s “small bags” and lacrosse equipment did not fit so nicely on the short bus.  It was quite an experience.  Add a water gun and about 3 super soaker happy meal toys and you have yourself my 7 hour bus ride.  We were thrilled to arrive in Dresden, although the accommodations were something to be desired.  Currently all 30 members of Global Players are sleeping in Judo room.  Judo is a form of karate.  We were graciously welcomed with a sleeping bag each—pillows were apparently BYOP… no one got the memo.  I can complain all I want but a bedroom that turns into a kickball court (because that is what we eventually made it into) is nothing short of awesome. #ill
.

OF COURSE we celebrated the 4th of July.  After a 4 hour lacrosse session with the Dresden lacrosse players, we brought it back to the Judo Suite and had a BBQ… naturally.  In true American style we ate hot dogs, played drinking games (in the Judo Suite), and sang the National Anthem upwards 16 times. 
The Germans may or may not have been too thrilled with us, but our Independence comes only once a year and I am not about to let it pass me by without a classic “Proud to be and American” group sing-song while waiting for the tram.  Coming home that night we were disappointed to learn that the only key we were issued was in the hands of someone who was not back yet.  Solution: hoist fellow GP through the window.  Definite fail. 


Side note: People have noticed my snort.  I don’t know why I tried to hide who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment