Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bye Dresden, off to Prague-- Czech me out!


The rest of our stay in Dresden, residing in the Judo Room—aka Juditsu Suite—was a lot of fun.  We toured Dresden on Tuesday and saw all the old architecture.  It’s an extremely pretty city!  That night a group of went to the Women’s World Cup game only a 10 minute tram ride from the Juditsu Suite.  Nigeria faced off against Canada and I had one goal for the game… get a scarf.  On the walk from the tram to the game my friend and I spotted a scarf stand.  Our lack of preparation created a debacle.  We did not realize there wouldn’t be access to an ATM and we were almost fresh out of cash.  Not to worry.  The going rate was 2 scarves for 30 Euro but the gracious offer of 8 Euro, the scarf I was wearing at the time, and a lot of pestering was all we needed.  The clerk was either taken in by our charm or just straight up trying to get rid of us but we snagged 2 scarves for 4 Euro a piece… and I took back my scarf offer when I realized that there was no chance he would chase after me for it.  Inside the game was no different.  My friend and I funded 2 beers and a pretzel by a) pretending we didn’t know you couldn’t pay with a card and biting the pretzel before we tried to pay, and b) asking the security guards for money… it worked.  There was soccer too.  Nigeria won 1-0 and all 15 of us who went left the game in fresh Nigeria gear.

On Wednesday we packed it up and left for Prague.  On the way we stopped and took a tour at the Terezen concentration camp.  Many of the objects, furniture, and buildings are the original pieces from the war.  It was hard to believe some of the things the tour guide told us about how many people were forced to share such close quarters.  The camp was built on a fortress and we walked through the 500 meter tunnel system that was used by the guards.  It was very sad but a great learning experience for everyone.

Dobry Den! I am finally in Prague!  It is unbelievably refreshing to unpack my suitcase after 2 and a half weeks.  Prague is BEAUTIFUL, though I don't think I will ever fully understand the Czech Crown... confusing!  The internship will start tomorrow and I will hopefully get the public transportation system down to a science soon enough!  Had to purchase a new camera :( ... so there are not snaps from Germany but I will make sure Prague is well represented!

Na shledanou!


No comments:

Post a Comment