Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bye Cologne, Smell Ya Later


On our last night in the Netherlands all the girls went out to dinner with our hosts.  After dinner at VIP (Very Italian Pizza), we hit up the Karaoke bar.  Laura and I were the first volunteers of the group to get on stage with “Ignition” by R-Kelly (none of our usual favorites were on the list).  Our hosts graced the stage later on with a Dutch song called “Inkdfaslkdstraat”… most likely.  All the while, our 8 month pregnant program director/coach was getting low on the dance floor, belly and all.  I’d say we went out with a bang. 

On Thursday we traveled to Cologne, Germany.  Hallo Germany.  We are staying with German lacrosse players and have had the chance to spread lax in Cologne.  On Friday we coached 3 different kindergarten classes—and by coach I mean we did relay races and played steal the bacon.  My teams never lost.  After taking a tour of Cologne (which was beautiful), we coached and played with a youth team for a couple hours, and ended the night playing with the Cologne women’s team for another 2 hours.  Total lax time: 7 hours.  The Cologne men’s and women’s team hosted a BBQ for us after though… not too shabby for Maggie.  Afterwards we checked out the gay pride festival that was going on this week—some very interesting characters.

On Saturday we scrimmaged with the Germans and then took off for a music festival an hour tram ride away.  Waiting for the tram, a teammate, our program director, and I were lucky enough to take part in a German bachelor party.  50 cents bought us the chance to toss a ring onto the bachelor's helmet, which had the male private part on it.  I, of course, rung it and won the grand prize... a shot and the joy of winning. #success


Once on the tram, after 35 minutes had gone by, it got too crowded and wouldn’t move.  My friend and I had to go to the bathroom… and when you gotta go you gotta go.  We ditched to group and got off, the tram left, and then so were we.  We got on the next one and by a stroke of luck got off at the right stop.  We were reunited with the group just to find that the festival was too crowded and we couldn’t go.  SURPRISE German lacrosse player who lives close by—you are having a house party tonight.  We raided German laxer Patrick’s apartment (which was the nicest apartment I have ever been in), and I of course left my camera there—so that will be coming via mail to me in Prague.  

Now off to Dresden where all 30 of us are staying in one big room.  The 4th of July should be interesting.  USA. USA. USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment