Sunday, July 10, 2011

Praguelem Solved


I have now been here 4 days… so I am basically a native.  We have covered a lot of ground here in Prague already, starting with the complete takeover of floor 1 of the dorms.  When I’m not reliving my freshman year dorm experience—shout out to Steeb—I am exploring the city.  The buildings are all beautiful and very old because Prague is one of only a few cities not destroyed during WWII.  I’ve become quite the “traveler” and am actually pretty decent at navigating myself through the city via trams and metros.  I’ve gone off by myself and not gotten lost!  Points!  Of course, when I am alone it takes me 2x longer than it should to get places because I stop every 10 meters to take a picture of something… whether it is a building or a strange looking European so I can build my team (a few of us are in competition to see who can build the weirdest looking team of Czechs… I am well on my way to a victory).

My ever improving sense of direction falls short when it comes to large wooded parks.  Twice now, once with a group and once by myself, I have gotten lost on a run inside the park that is right by our dorms.  It turns out, though, that getting lost in the park is not the worst thing.  The park is huge and filled with beer gardens, bad mitten courts, people grilling out, and Czechs on rollerblades.  I do, though, have to watch my step.  It apparently is not customary for Czechs to clean up after their dogs.  The park is really pretty though and very close by.  We are really in a great location!

The night life is not too shabby either.  Last night, we ate and hung out at the bar that I will be marketing for my internship.  What began as a chilled out setting quickly turned into one of the Global Players finding herself  spot behind the bar and taking it upon herself to start making drinks and tending the bar.  She was a welcomed honorary employee for a solid 15 minutes until she was chased away by getting sprayed with water.  Whoops.  Afterward, a group of about 20 of us walked, under my directional leadership, to a 5 story club.  Each floor had different music and a different theme.  We met Scottish guys dressed in all sorts of costumes for their friend’s bachelor party and since there was a Spiderman, a Waldo, and a few other choice characters, we obviously became best friends instantaneously.  The place was PACKED.  It was so hot and everyone was dancing so much that we literally looked like we had been rained on by the end of the night with the amount of sweat we produced.  We got home at about 5:30am, in time for the sunrise.  Hands down top 10 list.

Today we went to a beach.  When I say beach, I mean fake sand next to a river… but none the less the “beach” was plentiful with speedos and ta-ta’s.  Europeans have no shame.  The “beach” had volleyball courts, restaurants, tiki bars, and tons of tables and chairs to set up around.  I was digging the aesthetics.


We are now planning a potential excursion to Budapest for next weekend!  More to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment