Monday, July 18, 2011

Praha(hahahaha)



Ahoj!  It’s been a while!  I have been doing a lot of exploring Prague and visiting tourist sites, sprinkled in with the occasional good time.  Ever since we received our GP clothing packets we have been waiting for a time to wear our super unflattering GP polos out on the town.  Check.  Wore them to our GP goodbye dinner when we said bye to the group leaders since the lacrosse portion of our trip is now over.  Looked stunning, of course.


Like I said, I have been doing a lot of exploring… alone.  I don’t have specific hours for my internship- they vary and I do a lot of the work from home on my own time.  Consequently, I have a lot of days to myself while everyone else is in class or at work.  I have mastered the trams, metros, and city maps and have officially eaten alone for probably the first tim ever.  With the free time I have seen the John Lennon Peace Wall, the St. Charles Bridge, the Old Jewish Cemetery and Synagogue, and about every souvenir shop in Prague.

On Wednesday everyone in the program was invited to a free wine tasting.  I now have the knowledge to be snooty and picky about my wines… I don’t have the money to be, but the knowledge is all there.  After the wine tasting we went to one of the famous Prague Beer Gardens to watch USA kick France’s butt in the World Cup Semi’s.  "USA" has become a far too common chant on this trip.

On Thursday night all of the GP’s trecked it down to Old Town Prague for a classic Bar Crawl.  It started with 2 hours of open bar in an old Prague church.  There was a large Stalin head that became the focal point of many pictures by the end of the night.  A few of us also decided it was necessary to take over the DJ stand.  News: ipods and computers are not customary for Czech DJ’s… he had mixed CD’s.  I haven’t seen a mixed CD since Nam but we were workin’ them at the stand.  Sometimes you would get lucky and pop in a good one, but when it’s bad the packed bar/church/club quickly turns against you.  Tough crowd.  Needless to say we left our mark at the bar/church/club.  Literally.  There was an employee finishing a mural on the wall while we were there so naturally we snagged the paintbrush and wrote “GP” and “OSU” on the 500 year old wall.  Nice.  The rest of the crawl was a lot of fun—we rocked the “free” T-shirts that we stole from boxes in a corner and enjoyed ourselves until sunrise.

Our plans for Budapest fell through after multiple buses and trains all turned out to be booked… so we decided to kick it in Prague instead.  On Friday night I worked at the bar I am interning at for the 1st Anniversary Party—bouncing at the door and passing out food inside.  On Saturday we spent the day the “beach”, washed off the fake sand, and began our night where I again met another bachelor party with even cooler costumes.  But, the real fun came on Sunday.  We went to the ZOO.  The Prague Zoo is the 10th best Zoo in the world but I would argue it to be #1.  While we were there we took a single person chair lift ride up a mountain to get to the top.  I, of course, went first.  They throw you on this chair, ski lift style, say something to you in Czech about safety, and trust that you won't fall off and die.  Thankfully, I didn't.  Going up, though, was really cool.  I got an aerial view of the Zoo and could see for miles.  So, loved the Zoo trip.  Later that night we watched the World Cup Finals at Hooters. Duh.  Bad ending but it was a good game and a lot of fun.

That wraps up week 2!  See ya…

No comments:

Post a Comment